Where does my money actually go? Do you give it directly to the children in your program?
Great question. We have short and long answers below.
Short answer: No, we don’t give funds directly to the children, but your support is invested directly into programs that impact the children’s future.
Long answer: Your giving dollars ensure sponsored children have access to education, clothing, shelter, and feeding.
If you’re becoming part of a child’s team, it means your child is immediately able to access basic program services for education, feeding, shelter, and clothing.
How do you know which children need help?
Our local volunteers determine which families need the most help. After meeting with family members, we use an assessment tool to determine if they are eligible. The social workers look at aspects such as a family’s source of income, how reliable it is, the number of family members living in the home, the number of beds, the amount and types of possessions, and whether the household is led by a single parent. Our assessment helps us develop a score that provides an overall way to look at a family’s needs. Our local volunteers – who know the neighborhoods first hand and the people living there – are often the first to suggest a family that is in dire need of help.
All children within our project area are eligible for sponsorship if they are in need of assistance. We do not ask questions concerning religious beliefs, family background, political beliefs, or any other questions that may exclude certain children. We believe that if a child needs help, he or she should receive it.
How can I make a gift?
You can donate by debit or credit card, PayPal, check, or money order. (If you’re sponsoring a child, you can choose a monthly, quarterly, semiannual, or annual schedule.)
What is your refund/cancellation policy?
If for any reason you would like a refund for your donation, we will process the refund, using the original method of payment. It may take up to 10 business days (depending on your bank) for a refund to appear on your account.
You can cancel your monthly giving anytime by contacting our team.
What happens if I can’t continue being part of a child’s team (or have to cancel sponsorship)? Does my child lose the benefits of the program?
No way. We make a commitment that we’ll be a part of their lives until they graduate from our program. Our team members around the world have invested time in our kids’ futures, and we work to find a new sponsor as soon as possible.
If you run into financial hardship, we may be able to suspend your monthly gift commitment for a short time and keep you as a child’s sponsor. Please call our founder at +256-702-034 428 or send an email to us to learn more.
Can I suggest a new sponsor for my child (such as a family member or friend)?
Yes, absolutely. Just contact our Founder to connect us with your (willing) family member or friend.
Can I sponsor more than one child?
Yes! Being a part of many children’s lives is incredibly rewarding and a wonderful way to learn about the different lives they live.
What medical benefits does my sponsored child receive?
Our health programs focus on two important things:
- Developing healthy habits and
- Connecting kids with medical services when they need help.
Here are some of the ways your support helps to reinforce healthy habits:
- Sharing information (presentations, pamphlets, posters, and one-on-one counseling) about critical health topics tailored to children or caregivers.
- Providing comprehensive information about healthy behaviors.
- Influencing attitudes and equipping individuals with the tools and confidence to perform behaviors that will prevent common diseases.
- Creating learning opportunities where kids can practice skills in a supportive environment.
- Providing direct services or paying for services for children who have special medical needs.
- Using peer modeling to demonstrate healthy behavior.
- Reducing barriers to healthy behaviors, such as providing soap, toothbrushes, and toothpaste.
And here are ways your support makes health services available and affordable:
- Operating medical and dental clinics and pharmacies at AF community centers when services are not otherwise accessible or affordable.
- Helping kids and their families access and enroll in existing government/public health insurance programs.
- Providing subsidies for out-of-pocket expenses where support doesn’t exist
- Creating partnerships with local hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies to reduce costs
- Identifying and collaborating with existing services within communities to link families to those resources.
What education benefits does my sponsored child receive?
Education doesn’t have a one-size-fits-all solution. So we invest your support in a wide range of tools designed to achieve our goal of helping kids complete school. Because going to school — and not dropping out — is absolutely essential to building a future free from poverty.
Here are some of the ways your support is used for education:
- Providing material support such as supplies, uniforms, shoes, books, school fees, and transportation assistance
- Awarding scholarships to attend school as well as a vocational school, college or other higher education institutions
- Working directly with parents to ensure their kids are enrolled in school
- Academic tutoring for kids
- Partnering with existing educational facilities in the community
- Engaging parents on how to better support their children’s education
- Provision of safe learning spaces and educational resources at our community centers with libraries and computer labs.
Can I visit my sponsored child? How can I make an arrangement?
Yes! We’d love for you to visit and see the impact of your support. Like other sponsors, you will love meeting your child in person. Please understand there are some logistics involved, so we ask for as much advanced notice as possible — preferably 6 to 8 weeks. You can contact our team at +256-702-034428 or email us at email@example.com.
How much would it cost to visit my sponsored child?
Each trip has its own unique expenses, but you should make sure to budget for:
- Any activities planned with your child (and possibly your child’s family)
- $100 to $150 to help cover setup and basic transportation costs for these special visits.
You’ll also need to arrange and budget separately for your airfare, hotel, and transportation to and from the airport.
Will you accompany me on my visit and will I need a translator?
We’ll be right there by your side! We follow strict child protection policies to ensure the safety and privacy of everyone involved in the visit, so you will be accompanied by a field staff member at all times during your visit. A translator will also be available during the visit if needed.
Can I share photos and info from my visit on social media?
Yes — sharing is the best! We know sponsor visits are wonderful experiences. Why wouldn’t you want to share? But we do have some guidelines to make sure that our kids, staff, and you, as sponsors, stay safe:
- Remember to turn off geotagging on your phone before taking pictures so your photos don’t share location details. Please be mindful of this before posting photos. (You can turn off this feature on most smartphones within the “settings” menu.)
- Keep an eye on the background and double-check photos to make sure there aren’t any identifiable location indicators. Look for signs that show the name of the child’s neighborhood, school, community center, or other identifying information.
- Remember not to post your child’s full name or child ID number.
Of course, look at all your photos and use your best judgment before posting. If you think there’s a chance that you shouldn’t post something, it’s probably better to be on the side of caution.
If you still have any questions, feel free to check out this blog post for more info about posting to social media, or contact us at +256-702-034428! We’d be happy to answer any of your questions.